Antebellum homes in Natchez
ca. 1858. Pearl at Washington St.
The last great mansion built in Natchez prior to the War Between the States,
it is one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture.
Features a costume museum
every hallway had a portrait of Jefferson Davis
illuminated by an elaborate candle chandelier
Governor Holmes House
ca. 1794. South Wall Street.
This elegant residence was the center of Natchez society when Governor David Holmes was the last governor of the Mississippi Territory and first governor of the state of Mississippi.
now a Bed & Breakfast
The House On Ellicott's Hill
ca. 1798. N. Canal St. Andrew Ellicott, in defiance of Spain, raised the American flag on this hill in 1797.
Overlooking the terminus of the Natchez Trace,
ca. 1820. Broadway St. Located on the Mississippi Bluff near the site of
the Natchez Indians' massacre of the French at Fort Rosalie.
It was the headquarters of the Union Army during the War Between the States.
distinctive style of furniture
the interior of "Rosalie"
mahogany bed room
ca. 1860-1861. Lower Woodville Rd. The grandest
octagonal house in America.
Superb example of mid-19th century Oriental style.
Designed for Haller and Julia Nutt, it retains original furnishings.
unfinished first floor
view to the unfinished interior part of the cupola
dining room in the furnished basement
(note the fly chaser, activated by a servant pulling the rope)
The other side of town
Richard N. Wright
and the side of town where he lived
Return to Natchez page
Return to Mississippi page
Return to United States page
Return to People and Places