On the Road to Cap-Ha´tien
boats carrying goods on the sea to nearby island
rice fields in the central valley
drying the grain
houses constructed from sticks and mud
a happy pig
a religious procession
into the mountains toward Cap-Ha´tian
Cap-Ha´tian is a seaport city
old town with cathedral in background
Cap-Ha´tien, also Le Cap, city and seaport, northern Haiti, capital of Nord Department, on the Manzanillo Bay, an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean. Cap-Ha´tien has a spacious harbor and is an export center for coffee, cocoa, hides, honey, and logwood. In the 17th century the Spaniards built on the site of Cap-Ha´tien a settlement that became a French possession in 1697. Under the French, who made it the capital of their colony of Saint-Domingue, it was a flourishing town, referred to as Little Paris.
nearby Sans Souci Palace
From 1811 to 1820 Cap-Ha´tien was the capital of Henri Christophe, king of Haiti, when he ruled northern Haiti. The town was almost destroyed by an earthquake in 1842. Population (1994 estimate) 68,000.
Return to Haiti Page
Return to People and Places