Abilene began as a stage coach stop in 1857 established by Timothy Hersey and Eliza Hersey. The name, taken from a passage in the bible, means city of the plains. (The Hersey dugout can still be seen in the cellar of the Lebold Mansion.) The town grew quickly when Joseph G. McCoy decided to use the town for the location of his stockyards.
With the railroad pushing west and the cattle traders soon used Abilene as the largest stockyards west of Kansas City. The Chisholm Trail ended in Abilene and brought in many travelers and made Abilene one of the wildest towns in the west.
finest house west of Topeka
Wild Bill Hickok became marshal of Abilene for a short time in April of 1871.
His time as marshal was short lived when, in a shoot-out with Phil Coe, he
accidentally shot his friend and deputy, Mike Williams by mistake. He lost his
job two months later in December.
In 1880 Conrad Lebold built what the newspapers called the finest house west of Topeka. Lebold was one of the early town developers and Bankers from 1869 thru 1889
radio on its stand
Dwight's birth registered in the family Bible
photo of Dwight D. Eisenhower's parents
Eisenhower Story in murals
learning from his parents
working with his parents
at West Point
World War II
as President of Columbia University
as Commander of NATO
as President of the United States
statue of Dwight D. Eisenhower
the electric car of Mamie Doud's
belonged to Elvira "Minnie" Dowd
(a 1914 model J4 Rauch & Lang, made in Cleveland Ohio)
often used by Dwight D. Eisenhower
Ike in uniform
(in the short vest jacket he created)
on the campaign trail
Place of Meditation
internment place of
Dwight D. and Mamie Eisenhower
the burial site
People and Places