Spanish moss on the trees
The National Park Service administers the
Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve, located east of downtown Jacksonville
between the lower Saint Johns and the Nassau Rivers. Created in 1988, the
reserve protects river estuaries and historic sites, including evidence of the
Timucua people who once inhabited northeast Florida.
recreation of Fort Caroline
In the reserve is Fort Caroline National Memorial, the probable location of an attempt by the French to colonize Florida in 1564. The memorial contains a reduced-scale re-creation of the original fort.
recreation of French cannon
French Seal on the monument
diagram of the plantation
Also in the reserve is Kingsley Plantation, the oldest remaining plantation house in Florida. Along with the planter's home are 23 of the original slave quarters.
on the St. Johns river
another view of the plantation house
kitchen and work building
walls of a slave quarter
mortar made with sea shells
foundations and walls of the slave quarters
one of the reconstructed slave quarters
People and Places