along the Mississippi river
Great River Road
The Pilot's Wheel
ruled under many flags
Father Jacques Marquette
St. Feriole Island
This area has traditionally been one that receives and stores miscellaneous bulk materials including fertilizer and salt. While there is a rail track going from here straight down the west side of the island and across the old St. Feriole Island Railroad Bridge to the mainland, it is seldom used, concludes that this area is primarily a stopping point for barge traffic with some degree of off-load, upload and storage capabilities. We understand there are a fertilizer storage warehouse and a large open storage area for bulk materials.
Look at some of the old rail cars parked here
the Depot Bar
The Depot was originally built in 1864 and has been fully restored.
This lovely, small, limestone building called "Eagles on the River," also known as the Rock Building was dedicated in 2002. The windows, were the gift of Madison Gas and Electric Foundation, Inc. and the Prairie du Chien Eagles Club.
This is a view from the inside. The artist is Jo Van.
fishing for clams
Mississippi River level gauge
Dousman Hotel is a site significant for being one of the major hotels in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. The Dousman Hotel was named after Hercules L. Dousman, one of the fur trappers.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960.
Constructed 1864-65, this three story, buff-colored brick structure is the largest, most luxurious and last built of several large hotels in Prairie du Chien during the 19th century, while the town was an important river steamboat and railroad terminus. It was used as a stopping point by thousands of emigrants to the West after the Civil War.
In 1869, the Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway advertised the Dousman House as a place that "affords ample facilities for accommodation of travelers, and in the best style."
Dousman lived on the island, and legend has it that during the flood of 1828, he saw that the rising water did not flood a large mound area, which is where he would build his home and later this hotel. Buildings put on this mound survived the floods of 1870, 1892, 1920 and 1922, though much of the surrounding land was under, and the waters did come right up to the building, especially in 1920. A flood in 1965 and another in 2001 did cause trouble. Susan Lampert Smith has written a good article about all this, entitled "Born and raised on the river," published in the Summer 2002 edition of the Wisconsin Magazine of History.
The owner is restoring the hotel.
the Brisbois House, built by Joseph
Rolette in 1837,
is built of limestone, which is plentiful in this region to this day.
log home from early Prairie du Chien
People and Places