the revival of Sheboygan through its Harbor Centre
entrance to city hall
stairs to the second level
rally for the Mayor
outside city hall on September 6, 2006
after an effort to have a recall election failed
where he tells of his accomplishments as Mayor
Sheboygan's Water Feature
on 8th Street next to the Library
on Library Plaza
Mead Public Library
First Floor of the Library
The Chicago-based Goodrich Transportation Co. operated passenger and freight terminals along the west shores of Lake Michigan, including Sheboygan. In 1869, Goodrich ordered a new ship, a 220-foot side-wheeler named the Sheboygan. At a building cost of $93,000, the steamer Sheboygan was thought to be one of the finest ships on the Great Lakes.
In an article in The Sheboygan Press, City Historian William Wangemann described the Sheboygan as follows: “Her upper works were painted a snowy white and her lower hull a glistening black. She had two tall smokestacks side by side, and the top quarter of each stack was painted a brilliant red-orange, the company color. Between the two stacks was mounted a set of deer antlers, which indicated she was the fastest and best ship of the Goodrich line.
Just behind the stacks was the
walking beam, a large triangular casting that was part of her steam engine that
drove the two paddle wheels. This walking beam pumped up and down in the manner
of a teeter-totter. At the top of the walking beam stood the silhouette of an
Indian with a tomahawk in his right hand. The arm of the Indian was loose and
could swing back and forth. As the ship traveled the lake, the action of the
walking beam caused the Indian’s tomahawk to swing up and down, a feature that
made the Sheboygan identifiable from a great distance and caused a great deal of
Emblazoned across the sides of her paddlewheel box were large black letters spelling out her namesake city. The Sheboygan was a lucky and profitable ship that ran without major mishap for more than 45 years. In 1912, she was taken out of regular service and used only as a backup; in 1914 the boat was turned over to a scrap dealer in Manitowoc, where it was stripped of all its machinery and other metal fittings.
On Sept. 24, 1914, the proud old ship was towed out of Manitowoc, leaving her home port for the last time. Hundreds of people lined, the riverbanks, and more than a few had tears in their eyes. Ships docked in the harbor blew a last mournful salute on their steam whistles to the gallant old side-wheeler.
If ever a ship had a funeral, the Sheboygan did. She was towed two miles north of Manitowoc by the tug Arctic, pushed up onto the beach and set afire. Even during her last hours, she was a tough old ship, the Sheboygan burned for more than two days."
In 2003, James Michael, a local artist, created a painting of the Sheboygan which he donated to the Friends of Mead Public Library..
the Sheboygan Eagle
Yonkers Department store
Trinity Lutheran Church
St Clements' church
Return to Sheboygan page
People and Places